There are several means available to remove chlorine from your drinking water.Below are three of the most common methods as well as our recommendation for the purification process.
Using pressure and a semipermeable membrane it is possible to reverse the normal osmosis process to purify water.Pros
– The Reverse Osmosis membrane traps the contaminants and is flushed away in waste water. Reverse Osmosis systems include prefilters that are successful at removing chlorine, fluoride and many other harmful contaminants.Cons
– The process is wasteful. It requires 2-4 gallons of water to produce one purified gallon of water. The higher the contaminants in an area's water supply, the shorter the life of a RO filter. Like distillation, the RO process leaves water empty and lifeless and in need of rejuvenation.
Distillation is the process of removing impurities from water by boiling the water and then condensing the steam into a clean container.Pros
- The distillation process will remove chlorine from water, as well as fluoride and all other contaminants the water may contain.Cons
– The process takes time and is not energy efficient. The same process that removes the contaminants also removes any good elements from the water, leaving it empty and lifeless. It would be necessary to add minerals back to the water before drinking.
(Granular Activated Carbon)(Recommended) Carbon is perhaps the most powerful absorbent known to man. A single pound of carbon contains a surface area of roughly 125 acres and can absorb thousands of different chemicals. Activated carbon adds a slight electropositive charge to the carbon, making it even more attractive to chemicals and other impurities.Pros
- GAC is the most effective removal of organic compounds in water. These compounds include VOCs, radon and chlorine (including THMs). The system is very cost effective.Cons
- Very important to follow filter replacement schedule to reduce the possibility of ‘channeling’ in the carbon which reduces efficiency and leads to bacteria accumulation. Frequent filter changes are required.